WELCOME!

This is an archive fan blog of Jerry Yan's series The Hospital/White Tower in 2005-2006. You'll find news articles, interview translations, fan site updates and videos.

Sources were credited and many thanks to all fans who helped us with translations and providing the links.

This is compiled by Jerry Yan Philippines

Note: Some links/videos/images were already expired/terminated since this was posted more than 10 years. We're doing our best to recover some media files. If you have questions or reactions, or you have watched this series, please feel free to leave a comment! Thank you!

Watch The Hospital Here

{The Hospital}, Jerry Yan Comprehends The Importance of Appreciation

{The Hospital}, Jerry Yan Comprehends The Importance of Appreciation


Q1 : We heard that you spent a lot of time and effort preparing for the role. Mr. Hou Wen Yong also mentioned that you did a great deal of research. How did you understand and portray the character of Su Yi Hua?

A1: I recall that when I met the script-writer initially to discuss the character, Su Yi Hua, he brought out two photos. One was a little boy with a cheerful grin and the other was a white tower. He said that these represent Su Yi Hua and the White Tower so he is but an innocent little child. All of a sudden, I had a very intense feel for the character when I heard that. It was like I became Su Yi Hua during filming. I could feel how he had a simple life before he was unexpectedly pulled into the power struggle and lost the love of his life as well. In my portrayal, I have tried to transform myself into a real Su Yi Hua so that my performance can be true to life.



Q2 : Regarding your research for the performance, have you had any deep impressions or felt that any books were very helpful?

A2 : There are 2 books ~ [White Robe] and [A Surgical Doctor¡¯s Training] .



Q3 : Most of actors had plenty of medical training before the shoot, could you talk about what left a deep impression on you during the training or maybe an interesting little story?

A3 : The Director and Big Brother Hou arranged practical lessons in surgery for me. The first was a brain surgery. When I saw how someone¡¯s skull was cracked open, I was astounded. I really marvel at how incredible Medical Science is.



Q4 : Have you read Hou Wen Yong¡¯s novel? Do you feel that the character is a great different from the original?

A4 : I liked it very much when I read it a long time ago. The script basically stays true to the novel. But The TV serial stresses more on the virtue of appreciation and so it is more heartfelt. The character of Su Yi Hua has a minor adjustment in terms of age, he is younger.



Q5 : Have you seen the Japanese version of ¡®The Hospital¡¯? If so, what are your afterthoughts?

A5 : I have not seen it.



Q6 : Could you talk about your relationship with the Director? After working with other Directors, in your own opinion, could you speak about the Director¡¯s standards on the show, demands on performance style and other individual qualities?

A6 : It¡¯s a luxury to work with Director Chai. Although it takes so much more time but it was all worth it. At times when I look at him, it was like I am looking into the mirror. Not that we are identical in appearance! It¡¯s just rare to find someone who has the same undaunted demands on matters. I truly appreciate this. Director Chai is sensitive to the plot, the setting and arrangements of the characters, these are all necessary qualities of a successful Director!



Q7 : You¡¯ve worked with Dai Li Ren, Wu Meng Da and many other actors, what is the most challenging or enjoyable moments? Would you like to share a few unforgettable stories?

A7 : Due to {The Hospital}, I feel so lucky to be able to work with so many experienced actors. Acting with them has inspired me like never before. Dai Li Ren plays my senior in the Medical School. We have many scenes together. I have always admired his acting and I was very excited that we are acting together. Actually before I met him, I¡¯ve always thought of him as a very professional but serious actor. It was only after working with him that I discovered he was very humorous and quite a joker at times.

As for Wu Meng Da, I have seen many of his shows before. When I personally saw his performance for the first time, I was stunned by his outstanding performance. Even though he spoke Cantonese but you won¡¯t feel that there is any language barrier. I remember a scene vividly. Big Brother Da plays a Surgical Chief who had lost his position and fell sick soon after. Su Yi Hua visited him in the hospital. In that scene, Big Brother really drew me into it and I felt I acted beyond my original expectations.



Q8 : When you were preparing for the role, would you use any character or actor as a model? Or would you follow certain aspects? Could you give an example?

A8 : Nothing special, just be natural.



Q9 : The filming of {The Hospital} has ended, do you feel that this experience has influenced you¡¯re acting career in anyway? Any future wishes to handle any kind of challenging roles or theme?

A9 : In filming this show, I feel that it has absolutely exceeded any mere physical dimension. I have seen with my own eyes many real life and death situations. There might be a patient who had just passed away and yet over here is another baby born. This makes me feel how awesome Life is and I deeply understood how health and appreciation are very important.

It is a personal break-through to play this character. I had a totally different acting experience. But up till the end, it was really painful to be Su Yi Hua! When it came to an end, I joked with the Director, ¡®I can finally be rid of Su Yi Hua!¡¯ Ha ha!

Because this character is in deep turmoil, he was suffering in the power struggle. I hope that my next character would be more light-hearted in nature. A romantic love story or a comedy will do.



Q10 : How you feel that an actor can train himself on an everyday basis?

A10 : I feel that having a keen sense of observation is very crucial to an actor. I like to observe the people and things around me in my daily life. These will help in my renditions of different characters. I prefer a performance based on real emotions and not accustomed to contrived things. If there is time, I would like to look around overseas, there might be better choices and opportunities. I think that as an actor, the most feared are to lose the sensitivity of feel and a drained void within oneself.



Q11 : As an actor, you have been in the Taiwanese TV for a few years, how do you feel about the present and future of Taiwanese TV?

A11 : Since the success of ¡®Meteor Garden¡¯, Taiwanese TV had set a record throughout the whole of Asia. Many other TV serials have also been telecast in all parts of Asia. I feel that this is a good sign and opportunity. In fact, there are many exceptional people who work behind the scenes in Taiwanese TV. If only these can come together for a collaborative effort to produce a successful show, not just for the Taiwanese audience but for others as well. This is a dream that I hope to fulfill. I am very happy that ¡®The Hospital¡¯ has attracted loads of media attention and the audience¡¯s enthusiastic concern. So I hope that everyone will like this show.



Q12 : Do you have a habit of reading normally? Does this influence your work in some ways?

A12 : Reading is a rather important pastime for me. I read during breaks in-between filming, long haul flights and before I sleep. The books I read vary widely. No limitations in terms of subjects matter. Reading has helped me a lot in work. I find that I am able to think objectively and is more clear-mined in my judgments of matters. My fans also know that I read so it feels nice when they often share good books with me.

credit kym of jerrybbs for the translation

Dai Li Ren ~ A Good Actor is also Creative

Interview : Zhang Jia Rong, Ou Pei Pei

Photography : Chai Jia Feng

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dai Li Ren ~ A Good Actor is also Creative

[2005] Visiting the shooting of 'Bai Se Ju Ta'